Jimmy's Story

Text size

Jimmy Dale Morgan, age 71, of Hartshorne, died Saturday, May 6, 2017 at the Talihina Veterans Center. Memorial services will be 2:00 p.m. Friday, May 19, 2017 at the First Baptist Church in Gowen with minister of music, Joe C. Tiner, Jr. officiating assisted by Pastor Brian Caldwell. Cremation arrangements were under the direction of Brumley-Mills Funeral Home in Hartshorne.
Jimmy was born on July 15, 1945 in Hartshorne, one of nine children of Lonnie and Lillian Morgan. There were 7 boys and 2 girls, one of which was a twin to one of the 7 boys. Jim was the youngest. His parents moved to California when he was 2 years old. He attended school at Lamont then high school at Arvin, California. His dad got sick and Jim went to work at the corner grocery store to help support the family. Later the family moved back to Hartshorne and Jim enlisted in the U.S. Navy. He served from August 1964 to August 1968. He was sent to San Diego Recruit Training Center for boot camp. Jim found himself aboard the U.S.S. Sacramento AOE-I, an oiler, ammunition and supply ship where he was saluting his older brother, Charlie Morgan, an officer on the ship. He was on that ship for 2 years, then transferred to the U.S.S. John A. Bole and put in charge of the Mark 57, "The Big Gun" control room. He was sent to several gun control schools during his enlistment. Before receiving an honorable discharge on August 9, 1968, he was awarded the National Defense Service Medal, Navy Unit Commendation Ribbon, Vietnam Service Medal with four Bronze Starts and the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal with Device. After his honorable discharge, he worked at the Union Carbide Mine in Bishop, California from November 1969 through February 1970. He worked at Continental Phone Company in Bishop, California as a telephone repairman from 1970 through 1980. He quit there in order to open his own restaurant, The Morgan's Country Kitchen, in Florence, Oregon. His mother, Lillian Morgan, was hired as the cook, she was famous for her "Granny Biscuits." He operated the restaurant from November 1980 until 1984. He returned to Hartshorne, Oklahoma and worked for the Canadian Valley Telephone Company as a telephone repairman from August 1985 until September 1986. Then in March 1987, he worked as a telephone mechanic at the McAlester Army Ammunition Plant until September 1992. He was a member of the First Baptist Church in Gowen, Oklahoma. At the time of his death, he was living at the Veterans Center in Talihina, Oklahoma. While living there Jim started a musical group, Pick-N and Grin-N, that played every other Wednesday. He played his Fender guitar and his sister, Louise Tiner played the piano. There was lots of Gospel music and old time country songs. Jim also started a Bible study on Saturdays. He was saved and baptized when he was 10. He was out of the Lord's will for many years, but God brought him back and Jim was very close to the Lord in his last years. He called himself a contagious Christian.
Jimmy is survived by his sister, Frankie Louise Tiner of Hartshorne; two brothers and sisters-in-law, Floyd and Carol Morgan of McAlester and Charlie and Judy Morgan of Poulsbo, Washington; many nieces and nephews, Darlene Dumont, Shirley Jo Craig, Melissa Jamar, Dianne Morgan, Molly Morgan, Holly Morgan, Doralyn Morgan, Brenda Morgan, Joe Tiner, Jr. Joseph Tiner, Jerry Morgan, Brian Morgan, Floyd Lee Morgan, Kevin Morgan, Aron Morgan, John Morgan, James Morgan, Calvin J.R. Morgan, Karen Morgan, Voul Morgan and Linda Morgan.
He was preceded in death by his parents; 1 sister (the twin) Charlene June Ross; brothers, Vincil Morgan, Eugene Morgan, Bobbie Ray Morgan and Calvin W. "Bill" Morgan.
Published on May 18, 2017
Send flowers
in memory of Jimmy
See more

Obituary published in


Share this story with a friend.